UPDATE: The Kuna School District WILL NOT be accepting any Foreign Exchange Students for the 2021/2022 School Year due to COVID restrictions.


The Kuna School District will allow foreign exchange students and foreign exchange visitors to enroll at the district high school from recognized agencies. These agencies must provide all paperwork allowing the student to be in the country in accordance with district policy. Applications will NOT be accepted BEFORE January 24, 2020.

The window for applications to be turned in will be from January 24th - March 1st of 2020. All submissions should be addressed to:

Kuna Joint School District No. 3
Attn: Kim Bekkedahl, Assistant Superintendent
711 E. Porter St.  Kuna, Idaho 83634


Kuna School District Foreign Exchange Students Procedure:

  1. Each recognized organization will submit a letter of interest, based on the following list to place students in the Kuna Joint School District. Recognized organizations are based on the degree to which the organization. Please include the following in your application:
    1. has full listing in the most current U.S. Information Agency or CSIET Advisory List;
    2. is identified as a not-for-profit organization;
    3. has an active local organization with non-paid volunteers;
    4. provides local orientation for host families and students;
    5. has a record of support for the students and assistance to the schools with their program;
    6. All recognized agencies will be placed in a lottery system and three (3) agencies will be selected. The Kuna School District designee will notify the agencies that are selected of their approval status by March 15 of each school year.
  2. Each organization that has been approved shall notify the appropriate school of the following, no later than June 15 of each school year:
  • the name, country, grade level and date of birth of the exchange student;
  • the name, address and phone number of the host family who must live in the attendance area of the school in which placement is requested; and
  • the high school authorization form from the exchange organization.
  • name and address of the local representative for the organization;
  • an English-translated transcript for each candidate, indicating grade placement;
  • previous Level English Proficiency Test (SLEP); or (3) other verification of English competency approved by school officials. coursework;
  • a record of medical history, including a recent physical exam with proof of required immunizations and any medical/physical limitations; and
  • a record of English proficiency. Record of English proficiency is defined as:

(1) a transcript verifying attendance at a school where all classes are taught in English;

(2)Written evidence that the student attained a score of 450 or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a score of 39 - 44 on the Secondary Level English Proficiency Test (SLEP); or

(3) other verification of English


“Foreign exchange visitor” or “J-1 visa holder” means an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he or she has no intention of abandoning who is a bona fide student, scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, specialist, or leader in a field of specialized knowledge or skill, or other person of similar description, who is coming temporarily to the

United States as a participant in a program designated by the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, or receiving training. The terms “Foreign exchange visitor” or “J-1 visa holder” also include the spouse and minor children of any such alien if accompanying him or her or following to join him or her.

“Foreign student” or “F-1 visa holder” means an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he or she has no intention of abandoning, who is a bona fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study and who seeks to enter the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established academic high school particularly designated by him or her and approved by the Attorney General after consultation with the Secretary of Education.


Foreign students, pursuant to their “F-1 visa” status, will not be counted for the purpose of determining average daily attendance and will be required to reimburse the district for the costs of tuition.

Pursuant to their “J-1 visa” status, foreign exchange visitors will be counted for the purpose of

determining average daily attendance and are not required to reimburse the district for the costs of tuition.


The maximum foreign exchange visitor population each year will be based on an approximate ratio of 1/400 . The Kuna Joint School District reserves the right to raise or lower this ratio based on student enrollment numbers at Kuna High School.

A foreign student, “F-1 visa holder,” seeking to enroll in a high school in this district must meet the following conditions:

  1. The foreign student must reimburse the district for the full unsubsidized cost of his or her enrollment at a district high school. Enrollment may not exceed one (1) year. Reimbursement must be made prior to the student’s enrollment. If requested, the business manager for the district will calculate the full unsubsidized cost of attending a district high school for a given period.
  1. Any foreign student will be required to follow all of the rules, regulations, and policies, of thedistrict and pay the same fees as required of resident students.
  1. This district reserves the right to deny admittance to any foreign student or foreign student program.
  1. Foreign students who complete their senior year at the district’s high school will be eligible for an “honorary high school diploma” and may participate in the end of the year graduation and ceremonies.